The Lockhart Effect: A Five-Finger Exercise

Published: April 4th, 2015

LockhartPlaqueWith the passing of Women’s History Month, I find myself reconsidering the recent passing of Madelyn Lockhart–or Dr. Lockhart, as we knew her here at UF. Academic women of my generation knew who she was by the end of our first week on campus. She was Dean of the Graduate School when I arrived in 1989. In fact, Dr. Lockhart was UF’s first female academic administrator at the University level–and among the first women in the country to hold such a position. A living legend, she made women of my generation believe that we should speak our minds as she did to make the university a better place. After all, we were standing on her shoulders.

Dr. Lockhart always had an eye to the future. Faculty and students at UF would not have vital opportunities without her vision and strategic giving. The Lockhart legacy currently supports the “Classical Convergences” exhibition I co-designed at the Harn Museum of Art.  The Madelyn Lockhart Dissertation Fellowship program supports one of my current graduate students.

I attended her campus memorial service, where I learnt that we both entered college as music majors (she stuck with it, double-majoring in Music and Economics).  And so in tribute to her, I offer this Five-Finger Exercise on The Lockhart Effect. For keyboard musicians, these devices move the fingers in ways that strengthen the hand. I have chosen five key areas we see Lockhart’s hand in shaping the future of my institution. You may play the keys in any order you like.

5fingerex

A – African Studies. The Dr. Madelyn M. Lockhart Book Fund in African Studies, along with the Dissertation Research Travel Award she established for students traveling to Africa, helped usher in a new discipline and ensure its future.

B – Books. Spanning the disciplines of Humanities and Social Sciences, the Dr. Madelyn M. Lockhart New Books Area in Library West helps students and faculty locate current academic work.

F – Faculty Focus Exhibitions. Through the Dr. Madelyn M. Lockhart Endowment for Faculty Focus Exhibitions, her vision enables UF Faculty to collaborate with the Harn Museum of Art. These exhibitions foster innovative class assignments for UF students and programs for the Gainesville community.

10422026_10203026075725561_3112418099510826694_nG – Gender Research. As one of the women who launched UF’s Women’s Studies program in 1977, Dr. Lockhart opened new areas of inquiry for students and faculty (she is third from the left in this photo). This legacy continues through UF’s Center for Women’s Studies and Gender Research.

C – UF Clarinet Ensemble. This week I had the pleasure of hearing this group‘s spring concert, which was dedicated to Dr. Lockhart. Her support has helped these talented young musicians perform in Europe.   –MB

ClarinetProgram

Tagged as:

Comments are currently closed.