- “Effects of Long-Term Exposure to Elevated Temperature on Zea mays Endosperm Development During Grain Fill.” S.K. Boehlein, P. Liu, A. Webster, C. Ribeiro, M. Suzuki, S. Wu, J.-C. Guan, J.D. Stewart, W.F. Tracy, A.M. Settles, D.R. McCarty, K.E. Koch, L.C. Hannah, T.A. Hennen-Bierwagen and A.M. Myers, Plant Cell, 2019, in press.
- “Metabolic Functions of Maize Genes Encoding Pyruvate Phosphate Dikinase in Developing Endosperm.” R.R. Lappe, J.W. Baier, S.K.Boehlein, R. Huffman, Q. Lin, A.M. Settles, L.C. Hannah, J.D. Stewart, P.M. Scott, A.M. Myers and T.A. Hennen-Bierwagen, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2018, 115, E24-E33.
- “Self-Contained Biocatalysis.” J.D. Stewart, in Modern Biocatalysis: Advances towards Synthetic Biological Systems, G. Williams and M. Hall, Eds., Royal Society of Chemistry: Cambridge, 2018, pp. 321-350.
- “Progress in Using Threonine Aldolases for Preparative Synthesis.” S.F. Beaudoin, M.P. Hanna, I. Ghiviriga and J.D. Stewart, Enz. Microb. Technol., 2018, 119, 1-9.
- “Investigating Saccharomyces cerevisiae Alkene Reductase OYE 3 by Substrate Profiling, X-Ray Crystallography and Computational Methods.” R.W. Powell, III, M.P. Buteler, S. Lenka, M. Crotti, S. Santangelo, M.J. Burg, S. Bruner, E. Brenna, A.E. Roitberg and J.D. Stewart, Cat. Sci and Technol., 2018, 8, 5003-5016.
- “Enzymatic Reduction of Levoglucosenone by an Alkene Reductase (OYE 2.6): A Sustainable Metal- and Dihydrogen-Free Access to the Green Solvent Cyrene®.” L.M.M. Mouterde, F. Allais and J.D. Stewart, Green Chem., 2018, 20, 5528-5532.
- “Isolation and Synthesis of One of the Most Central Cofactors in Metabolism: Coenzyme A.” L.M.M. Mouterde and J.D. Stewart, Org. Process Res. Develop. 2018, in press.
- “Novel Concurrent Redox Cascades of (R)- and (S)-Carvones Enables Access to Carvo-Lactones With Distinct Regio- and Enantioselectivity.” N. Iqbal, J.D. Stewart, P. Macheroux, F. Rudroff and M.D. Mihovilivoc, Tetrahedron, 2018,74, 7389-7394.
- “Future Directions in Alcohol Dehydrogenase-Catalyzed Reactions.” J.D. Stewart in Future Directions in Biocatalysis, Second Edition, T. Matsuda, Ed., Elsevier: Amsterdam, 2017, pp. 85-96.
- “An Efficient Chemoenzymatic Synthesis of Coenzyme A and Its Disulfide.” L.M.M. Mouterde and J.D. Stewart. Org. Process Res. Develop. 2016, in press.
- Biocatalysis Using Organic Synthesis. A. Goswami and J.D. Stewart, Eds., Elsevier, 2016.
- “Applications of Protein Engineering to Members of the Old Yellow Enzyme Family.” E.D. Amato and J.D. Stewart, Biotechnol. Adv. 2015, 33, 624-631.
- “Enhancing the Heat Stability and Kinetic Parameters of the Maize Endosperm ADP-Glucose Pyrophosphorylase Using Iterative Saturation Mutagenesis.” S.K. Boehlein, J.R. Shaw, J.D. Stewart, B. Sullivan and L.C. Hannah. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 2015, 568, 28-37.
- “Opposite Enantioselectivity in the Bioreduction of (Z)-β-Aryl-β-cyanoacrylates Mediated by the Trp 116 Mutants of Old Yellow Enzyme 1: Synthetic Approach to (R)- and (S)-β-Aryl-γ-lactams.” E. Brenna, M. Crotti, F.G. Gatti, D. Monti, F. Parmeggiani, R.W. Powell III, S. Santangelo and J.D. Stewart. Adv. Synth. Catal. 2015, 357, 1849-1860.
- “Role of Polymer Architecture on the Activity of Osteoprotegerin Conjugates for the Treatment of Accelerated Bone Loss Disorders.” B.S. Tucker, J.D. Stewart, J.I. Aguirre, L.S. Holliday, C.A. Figg and B S. Sumerlin. Biomacromolecules 2015, 16, 2374-2381.
- “Influence of Cofactor Regeneration Strategies on Preparative-Scale, Asymmetric Carbonyl Reductions by Engineered Escherichia coli.” D. Dascier, S. Kambourakis, L. Hua, J.D. Rozzell and J.D. Stewart, Org. Proc. Res. Devel. 2014, 18, 793-800.
- “Threonine Aldolases.” S.E. Franz and J.D. Stewart, Adv. Microbiol. 2014, 88, 57-101.
- “Residues Controlling Facial Selectivity in an Alkene Reductase and Semi-Rational Alterations to Create Stereocomplementary Variants.” A.Z. Walton, B. Sullivan, A.C. Patterson-Orazem and J.D. Stewart, ACS Catalysis, 2014, 4, 2307-2318.
- “Pichia stipitis OYE 2.6 Variants with Improved Catalytic Efficiencies from Site-Saturation Mutagenesis Libraries.” A.C. Patterson-Orazem, B. Sullivan and J.D. Stewart, Bioorg. Med. Chem., 2014, 22, 5628-563.
- “Library Construction and Evaluation for Site Saturation Mutagenesis.” Sullivan, A.Z. Walton and J.D. Stewart, Enzyme Microb. Technol. 2013, 53, 70-77.
- “Applications of Saccharomyces pastorianus Old Yellow Enzyme to Asymmetric Alkene Reductions.” A.Z. Walton and J.D. Stewart in Handbook of Flavoproteins, iHR. Hille, S.M. Miller and B.A. Palfey, Eds., de Gruyter, 2013, pp. 299-320.
- “Deciphering the Kinetic Mechanisms Controlling Selected Plant ADP-glucose Pyrophosphorylases.” S.K. Boehlein, J.R. Shaw, S.K. Hwang, J.D. Stewart and L.C. Hannah, Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 2013, 535, 215-226.
- “The Potato Tuber, Maize Endosperm and a Chimeric Maize-Potato ADP-Glucose Pyrophosphorylase Exhibit Fundamental Differences in Pi Inhibition.” S.K. Boehlein, J.R. Shaw, D.R. McCarty, S.K. Hwang, J.D. Stewart and L.C. Hannah, Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 2013, 537, 210-216.
- “X-ray Crystallography Reveals How Subtle Changes Control the Orientation of Substrate Binding in an Alkene Reductase.” Y.A. Pompeu, B. Sullivan and J.D. Stewart, ACS Catal. 2013, 3, 2376-2390.
- “Enzymatic Reduction of C=C Double Bonds.” D.J. Bougioukou and J.D. Stewart in Enzyme Catalysis in Organic Synthesis, K. Drauz, H. Groeger, and O. May, Eds., 2012, Wiley-VCH Verlag, pp. 1111-1163.
- “Preparation of Enantiomerically Pure Citronellal Enantiomers Using Alkene Reductases.” A.Z. Walton, B.T. Sullivan and J.D. Stewart in Practical Methods for Biocatalysis and Biotransformations, Whitall, J., Sutton, P.W., Eds., 2012, John Wiley & Sons, pp. 104-108.
- “Structural and Catalytic Characterization of Pichia stipitis OYE 2.6, a Useful Catalyst for Asymmetric Alkene Reductions.” Y.A. Pompeu, B. Sullivan, A.Z. Walton and J.D. Stewart, Adv. Synth. Catal. 2012, 354, 1949-1960.
- “A shrunken-2 Transgene Significantly Increases Maize Yield and Provides Unexpected Insights into Seed Development and shrunken-2” L.C. Hannah, B. Futch, J. Bing, J. Shaw, S. Boehlein, J.D. Stewart, R. Beiriger, N. Georgelis and T. Greene, Plant Cell, 2012, 24, 2352-2363.
- “The Structural Basis of HLA Associated Drug Hypersensitivity Syndromes.” Y.A. Pompeu, JD. Stewart, S. Mallal, E. Phillips, B. Peters and D. Ostrov, Immun. Rev. 2012, 250, 158-166.
- “Drug Delivery Strategies Using Template Synthesized Nanotubes.” J.L. Perry, C.R. Martin and J.D. Stewart, Chem. Eur. J. 2011, 17, 6296-6302.
- “Biocatalytic Reductions of Baylis-Hillman Adducts.” A.Z. Walton, W.C. Conerly, Y.A. Pompeu, B. Sullivan and J.D. Stewart, ACS Catalysis, 2011, 1, 989-993 (cover article).
- “Probing Allosteric Binding Sites of the Maize Endosperm ADP-glucose Pyrophosphorylase.” S.K. Boehlein, J.R. Shaw, L.C. Hannah and J.D. Stewart, Plant Physiol. 2010, 152, 85-95.
- “Studies of the Kinetic Mechanism of Maize Endosperm ADP-Glucose Pyrophosphorylase Uncovered Complex Regulatory Properties.” S.K. Boehlein, J.R. Shaw, J.D. Stewart and L.C. Hannah, Plant Physiol. 2010, 152, 1056-1064.
- “Fabrication of Biodegradable Nano Test Tubes by Template Synthesis.” J.L. Perry, P. Guo, S.K. Johnson, H. Mukaibo, J.D. Stewart and C.R. Martin. Nanomedicine, 2010, 5, 1151-1160.
- “Towards Preparative-Scale, Biocatalytic Alkene Reductions.” D.J. Bougioukou, A.Z. Walton and J.D. Stewart, Chem Commun. 2010, 46, 8558-8560.
- “Characterization of an Autonomously Activated Plant Adenosine Diphosphate Glucose Pyrophosphorylase.” S.K. Boehlein, J.R. Shaw, J.D. Stewart and L.C. Hannah, Plant Physiol. 2009, 149, 318-326.
- “Site Saturation Mutagenesis of Tryptophan 116 of Saccharomyces pastorianus Old Yellow Enzyme Uncovers Stereocomplementary Variants.” S.K. Padhi, D.J. Bougioukou and J.D. Stewart, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 3271-3280.
- “Chemistry for a Sustainable Future.” Grassian, V.H.; Meyer, G.; H. Abruña, H., G.W. Coates, L.E. Achenie, T. Allison, B. Brunschwig, J. Ferry, M. Garcia-Garibay, J. Gardea-Torresdaey, C.P. Grey, J. Hutchison, C.-J. Li, C. Liotta, A. Ragauskas, Minteer, K. Mueller, J. Roberts, O. Sadik, R. Schmehl, W. Schneider, A. Selloni, P. Stair, J. Stewart,D. Thorn, J. Tyson, B. Voelker, J.M. White and F. Wood-Black, Environ. Sci. Technol. 2007, 4840-4846.
- “Reductions of Cyclic β-Keto Esters by Individual Saccharomyces cerevisiae Dehydrogenases and a Chemo-Enzymatic Route to (1R,2S)-2-Methyl-1-cyclohexanol.” S.K. Padhi, I.A. Kaluzna, D. Buisson,R. Azerad and J.D. Stewart, Tetrahedron: Asymmetry 2007, 18, 2133-2138.
- “Heat Stability and Allosteric Properties of the Maize Endosperm ADP-Glucose Pyrophosphorylase are Intimately Intertwined.” S.K. Boehlein, J.R. Shaw, J.D. Stewart and L.C. Hannah, Plant Physiol. 2008, 146, 289-299.
- “Opposite Stereochemical Courses for Enzyme-Mediated Alkene Reductions of an Enantiomeric Substrate Pair.” D.J. Bougioukou and J.D. Stewart, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 7655-7658.
- “A Genomic Approach to Investigating Bakers’ Yeast Reductions.” J.D. Stewart, in Biocatalysis in the Pharmaceutical and Biotechnological Industries, Patel, R.N. Ed., 2007, New York: Dekker, pp. 333-350.
- “Future Directions in Alcohol Dehydrogenase-Catalyzed Reactions.” J.D. Stewart, in Future Directions in Biocatalysis, Matsuda, T., Ed., 2007, New York: Elsevier, pp. 293-304.
- “Biofunctionalization and Capping of Template Synthesized Nanotubes.” H. Hillebrenner, F. Buyukserin, J.D. Stewart and C.R. Martin, J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol. 2007, 7, 2211-2221.
- “Corking Nano Test Tubes by Chemical Self Assembly.” H. Hillebrenner, M. Kang, F. Buyukserin, M.O. Mota, J.D. Stewart and C.R. Martin, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128, 4236-4237.
- “Template Synthesized Nanotubes for Biomedical Delivery Applications.” H. Hillebrenner, F. Buyukserin, J.D. Stewart and C.R. Martin, Nanomedicine 2006, 1, 39-50.
- “Genomes as Resources for Biocatalysis.” J.D. Stewart, in Advances in Microbiology, Sariaslani, S., Ed., San Diego: Elsevier, 2006, 59, 31-52.
- “Stereoselective Enone Reductions by Saccharomyces carlsbergensis Old Yellow Enzyme.” M.A. Swiderska and J.D. Stewart, J. Mol. Catal. B: Enzymatic 2006, 42, 52-54.
- “Asymmetric Bioreductions of β-Nitroacrylates as a Route to β2-Amino Acids.” A. Swiderska and J.D. Stewart, Org. Lett. 2006, 8, 6131-6133.
- “Enantio Enriched Substituted Polycaprolactones by Enzyme Catalysis.” K.S. Bisht, L. Kondaveti, and J.D. Stewart, in Polymer Biocatalysis and Biomaterials, ACS Symposium Series 900, Cheng, H.N.; Gross, R.A., Eds. 2005, Washington, D.C.: American Chemical Society, pp. 366-392.
- “Stereoselective, Biocatalytic Reductions of α-Chloro-β-keto Esters.” I.A. Kaluzna, W. Wittayanan, B.D. Feske, I. Ghiviriga and J.D. Stewart, J. Org. Chem. 2005, 70, 342-345.
- “Assessing Substrate Acceptance and Enantioselectivity of Yeast Reductases in Reactions with Substituted α-Keto β-Lactams.” Y. Yang, M.M. Kayser, F.D. Rochon, S. Rodriguez and J.D. Stewart, J. Mol. Catal. B: Enzymatic 2005, 32, 167-174.
- “Green Chemical Manufacturing with Biocatalysis.” J.D. Stewart, in Environmental Catalysis, V.H. Grassian, Ed., 2005, Boca Raton: CRC Press, pp. 649-665.
- “Purification and Characterization of Adenosine Diphosphate Glucose Pyrophosphorylase from Maize/Potato Mosaics.” S.K. Boehlein, A.K. Sewell, J. Cross, J.D. Stewart and L.C. Hannah, Plant Physiol. 2005, 138, 1552-1562.
- “Chemoenzymatic Formal Total Synthesis of (-)-Bestatin.” B.D. Feske and J.D. Stewart, Tetrahedron: Asymmetry 2005, 16, 3124-3127.
- “Enantiodivergent, Biocatalytic Routes to Both Taxol Side Chain Antipodes.” B.D. Feske, I.A. Kaluzna and J.D. Stewart, J. Org. Chem. 2005, 70, 9654-9657.
- “Application of Newly-Available Bio-Reducing Agents to the Synthesis of Chiral Hydroxy-β-Lactams; Model for Aldose Reductase Stereoselectivity.” M.M. Kayser, M. Drolet, and J.D. Stewart, Tetrahedron: Asymmetry 2005, 16, 4004-4009.
- “Assessing the Substrate- and Enantioselectivities of Eight Novel Baeyer-Villiger Monooxygenases Toward Alkyl-Substituted Cyclohexanones.” B.G. Kyte, P. Rouvière, Q. Cheng and J.D. Stewart, J. Org. Chem., 2004, 69, 12-17.
- “Understanding and Improving NADPH-Dependent Reactions by Non-Growing Escherichia coli” A.Z. Walton and J.D. Stewart, Biotechnol. Progress 2004, 20, 403-411.
- “Regio- and Enantioselective Reduction of t-Butyl 6-Chloro-3,5-dioxohexanoate With Baker’s Yeast.” M. Wolberg, I.A. Kaluzna, M. Müller and J.D. Stewart, Tetrahedron: Asymmetry 2004, 15, 2825-2828.
- “A Systematic Investigation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Enzymes Catalyzing Carbonyl Reductions.” I.A. Kaluzna, T. Matsuda, A.K. Sewell and J.D. Stewart, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004, 126, 12827-12832.
- “Purification and Identification of an Escherichia coli β-Keto Ester Reductase as 2,5-Diketo-D-gluconate Reductase YqhE.” G. Habrych, S. Rodriguez and J.D. Stewart, Biotechnol. Progress 2002, 18, 257-261.
- “An Efficient Enzymatic Baeyer-Villiger Oxidation by Engineered Escherichia coli Cells Under Non-Growing Conditions.” A.Z. Walton and J.D. Stewart, Biotechnol. Progress 2002, 18, 262-268.
- “Enantioselective Reductions of Ethyl 2-Oxo-4-phenylbutyrate by Saccharomyces cerevisiae” I. Kaluzna, A.A. Andrew, M. Bonilla, M.R. Martzen and J.D. Stewart, J. Mol. Catal. B: Enzymatic, 2002, 17, 101-105.
- “Whole-Cell Mediated Baeyer-Villiger Oxidation of Functionalized Bicyclo[3.3.0]ketones by Recombinant coli.” M.D. Mihovilovic, B. Müller, M.M. Kayser, J.D. Stewart and P. Stanetty, Synlett 2002, 703-706.
- “γ-Glutamyl Thioester Intermediate in Glutaminase Reaction Catalyzed by Escherichia coli Asparagine Synthetase B.” G. Schnizer, S.K. Boehlein, J.D. Stewart, N.G.J. Richards and S.M. Schuster. Methods Enzymol. 2002, 354, 260-271.
- “Baeyer-Villiger Oxidations of Representative Heterocyclic Ketones by Whole Cells of Engineered Escherichia coli Expressing Cyclohexanone Monooxygenase.” M.D. Mihovilovic, B. Müller, M.M. Kayser, J.D. Stewart, J. Fröhlich, P. Stanetty, and H. Spreitzer, J. Mol. Catal. B: Enzymatic, 2001, 11, 349-353.
- “Highly Stereoselective Reagents for β-Keto Ester Reductions by Genetic Engineering of Baker’s Yeast.” S. Rodriguez, M.M. Kayser and J.D. Stewart, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2001, 123, 1547-1555.
- “Asymmetric Baeyer-Villiger Oxidations of 4-Mono- and 4,4-Disubstituted Cyclohexanones by Whole Cells of Engineered Escherichia coli.” M.D. Mihovilovic, G. Chen, S. Wang, B. Kyte, F. Rochon, M.M. Kayser and J.D. Stewart, J. Org. Chem., 2001, 66, 733-738.
- “Dehydrogenases and Transaminases in Asymmetric Synthesis.” J.D. Stewart, Curr. Opin. Chem. Biol., 2001, 5, 120-129.
- “Filamentous Fungi: Potentially Useful Catalysts for the Biohydroxylations of Non-Activated Carbon Centers.” L.R. Lehman and J.D. Stewart, Curr. Org. Chem., 2001, 5, 439-470.
- “Cloning, Structure and Activity of Ketone Reductases from Baker’s Yeast.” J.D. Stewart, S. Rodriguez and M.M. Kayser, in Enzyme Technology for Pharmaceutical and Biotechnological Applications, H.A. Kirst, W.-K. Yeh and M.J. Zmijewski, eds, New York: Marcel Dekker, 2001, 175-207.
- “Characterization of Inhibitors Acting at the Synthetase Site of Escherichia coli Asparagine Synthetase B.” S.K. Boehlein, T. Nakatsu, J. Hiratake, R. Thirumoorthy, J.D. Stewart, N.G.J. Richards and S.M. Schuster, Biochemistry, 2001, 40, 11168-11175.
- “Biocatalytic Lactone Production in Genetically Engineered coli and Identification by Gas Chromatography and Mass Spectroscopy.” C. Slawson, J.D. Stewart and R. Potter, J. Chem. Educ. 2001, 78, 1533-1534.
- “Cytochrome P450’s: Potential Catalysts for Asymmetric Olefin Epoxidations.” C.A. Martinez and J.D. Stewart, Curr. Org. Chem., 2000, 4, 263-282.
- “Asymmetric Synthesis of β-Hydroxy Esters and α-Alkyl-β-hydroxy Esters by Recombinant Escherichia coli Expressing Enzymes from Baker’s Yeast.” S.Rodriguez, K.T. Schroeder, M.M. Kayser and J.D. Stewart, J. Org. Chem., 2000, 65, 2586-2587.
- “Organic Transformations Catalyzed by Engineered Yeast Cells and Related Systems.” J.D. Stewart, Curr. Opinion Biotechnol., 2000, 11, 363-368.
- “Probing the Interaction Between a High-Affinity Single-Chain Fv and a Pyrimidine (6-4) Pyrimidone Photodimer by Site-Directed Mutagenesis.” H. Kobayashi, H. Morioka, K. Tobisawa, T. Torizawa, K. Koto, I. Shimada, O. Nikaido, J.D. Stewart and E. Ohtsuka, Biochemistry, 1999, 38, 532-539.
- “Effects of a High-Affinity Antibody Fragment on DNA Polymerase Reactions Near a (6-4) Photoproduct Site.” H. Kobayashi, K. Sato, Y. Komatsu, H. Morioka, J.D. Stewart, T. Tsurimoto and E. Ohtsuka, Photochem. Photobiol., 1999, 69, 226-230.
- “’Designer Yeast’: An Enantioselective Oxidizing Reagent for Organic Synthesis.” M.M. Kayser, G. Chen and J.D. Stewart, Synlett, 1999, 153-158.
- “Formation and Isolation of a Covalent Intermediate During the Glutaminase Reaction of a Class II Amidotransferase.” H.G. Schnizer, S.K. Boehlein, J.D. Stewart, N.G.J. Richards and S.M. Schuster, Biochemistry, 1999, 38, 3677-3682.
- “Asymmetric Oxidations at Sulfur Catalyzed by Engineered Strains That Overexpress Cyclohexanone Monooxygenase.” G. Chen, M. Kayser, M.D. Mihovilovic, M.E. Mrstik, C.A. Martinez and J.D. Stewart, New J. Chem., 1999, 827-832.
- “Crystallographic Structures of the Amide-Hydrolyzing Catalytic Antibody 43C9.” M.M. Thayer, E.H. Olender, A.S. Arvei, I.S. Canestrelli, J.D. Stewart, S.J. Benkovic, E.D. Getzoff and V.A. Roberts, J. Mol. Biol., 1999, 291, 329-345.
- “Baker’s Yeast-Mediated Reductions of α-Keto Esters and an α-Keto-β-Lactam. Two Routes to the Paclitaxel Side Chain.” M.M. Kayser, M.D. Mihovilovic, J. Kearns, A. Feicht and J.D. Stewart, J. Org Chem., 1999, 64, 6603-6608.
- “Tryptophan H33 Plays an Important Role in Pyrimidine (6-4) Pyrimidone Photoproduct Binding by a High-Affinity Antibody.” H. Kobayashi, J. Kato, H. Morioka, J.D. Stewart and E. Ohtsuka, Protein Eng., 1999, 12, 879-884.
- “Analysis of Molecular Recognition of Antibodies Specific for UV-Damaged DNA.” H. Morioka, H. Kobayashi, M. Kurihara, J. Kato, Y. Komatsu, K. Sato, K. Nobuoka, K. Kato, T. Torizawa, I. Shimada, Y. Satow, J.D. Stewart, T. Matsunaga, O. Nikaido and E. Ohtsuka, Photomed. Photobiol. 1999, 21, 7-8.
- “Improving the Stereoselectivity of Baker’s Yeast Reductions by Genetic Engineering.” S. Rodriguez, M.M. Kayser and J.D. Stewart, Org. Lett., 1999, 1, 1153-1155.
- “Cyclohexanone Monooxygenase: A Useful Reagent for Asymmetric Baeyer-Villiger Reactions.” J.D. Stewart, Curr. Org. Chem. 1998, 2, 211-232.
- “Recombinant Baker’s Yeast as a Whole-Cell Catalyst for Asymmetric Baeyer-Villiger Oxidations.” J.D. Stewart, K.W. Reed, C.A. Martinez, J. Zhu, G. Chen and M.M. Kayser, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1998, 120, 3541-3548.
- “Antibodies Specific for (6-4) DNA Photoproducts: Cloning, Antibody Modeling and Construction of a Single-Chain Fv Derivative.” H. Morioka, H. Miura, H. Kobayashi, T. Koizumi, K. Fujii, K. Asano, T. Matsunaga, O. Nikaido, J.D. Stewart and E. Ohtsuka, Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 1998, 1385, 17-32.
- “The Kinetic Mechanism of coli Asparagine Synthetase B.” S.K. Boehlein, J.D. Stewart, E.S. Walworth, R. Thiramoorthy, N.G.J. Richards and S.M. Schuster, Biochemistry 1998, 37, 13230-13238.
- “Enantio- and Regioselective Baeyer-Villiger Oxidations of 2- and 3-Substituted Cyclopentanones Using “Designer” Oxidizing Yeast.” M.M. Kayser, G. Chen and J.D. Stewart, J. Org. Chem., 1998, 63, 7103-7106.
- “Baker’s Yeast Reductions in Asymmetric Synthesis.” J.D. Stewart, Curr. Opinion in Drug Discovery and Development, 1998, 1, 278-289.
- “The Role of Surface Lysines in Pyrimidine (6-4) Pyrimidone Photoproduct Binding by a High-Affinity Antibody.” H. Kobayashi, H. Morioka, O. Nikaido, J.D. Stewart and E. Ohtsuka, Protein Engineering, 1998, 11, 1089-1092.
- “A Chemist’s Perspective on the Use of Genetically Engineered Microbes as Reagents for Organic Synthesis.” J.D. Stewart, Biotechnol. Genetic Eng. Rev., 1997, 14, 67-143.
- “’Designer Yeast’: A New Reagent for Enantioselective Baeyer-Villiger Oxidations.” J.D. Stewart, K.W. Reed and M.M. Kayser, J. Chem. Soc. Perkin 1, 1996, 755-757.
- “A “Designer Yeast” That Catalyzes the Kinetic Resolutions of 2-Alkyl-Substituted Cyclohexanones by Enantioselective Baeyer-Villiger Oxidations.” J.D. Stewart, K.W. Reed, J. Zhu, G. Chen and M.M. Kayser, J. Org. Chem., 1996, 61, 7652-7653.
- “Growth of Group III Nitrides by Chemical Beam Epitaxy.” J.D. Mackenzie, C.R. Abernathy, J.D. Stewart and G.T. Muhr, Crystal Growth, 1996, 164, 143-148.
- “Detection of a Covalent Intermediate in the Reaction Pathway of a Catalytic Antibody Using Electrospray Mass Spectrometry.” J.F. Krebs, G. Suizdak, H.J. Dyson, J.D. Stewart and S.J. Benkovic, Biochemistry 1995, 34, 720-723.
- “The Expression of Properly-Folded Catalytic Antibodies in Escherichia coli.” J.D. Stewart, Lee, B.A. Posner and S.J. Benkovic, Meth. in Enzymol., 1995, 249, 507-519.
- “Spectroscopic Studies on the Designed Metal-Binding Sites of the 43C9 Single Chain Antibody.” M.W. Crowder, J.D. Stewart, V.A. Roberts, C.J. Bender, E. Tevelrakh, J. Peisach, E.D. Getzoff, B.J. Gaffney and S.J. Benkovic, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1995, 117, 5627-5634.
- “New Insight into the Catalytic Mechanism of Chorismate Mutases from Structural Studies.” A.Y. Lee, J. Clardy, J.D. Stewart and B. Ganem, Chem. and Biol., 1995, 2, 195.
- “A Chemiluminescent Immunoassay for the Identification of Functional Single-Chain Antibodies.” I. Lee, J.D. Stewart, W. Zhong and S.J. Benkovic, Anal. Biochem., 1995, 230, 62-67.
- “Transition State Stabilization as a Measure of the Efficiency of Antibody Catalysis.” J.D. Stewart and S.J. Benkovic, Nature, 1995, 375, 388-391.
- “Catalytic Antibody Model and Mutagenesis Implicate Arginine in Transition-State Stabilization.” V.A. Roberts, J.D. Stewart, S.J. Benkovic and Getzoff, J. Mol. Biol., 1994, 235, 1098-1116.
- “Creation of a Novel Biosensor for Zn(II).” J.D. Stewart, V.A. Roberts, M.W. Crowder, E.D. Getzoff and S.J. Benkovic, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1994, 116, 415-416.
- “Site-Directed Mutagenesis of a Catalytic Antibody: An Arginine and a Histidine Play Active Roles.” J.D. Stewart, V.A. Roberts, E. Getzoff and S.J. Benkovic, Biochemistry, 1994, 33, 1994-2003.
- “Engineering Catalytic Antibodies.” J.D. Stewart, V.A. Roberts and S.J. Benkovic, Chem. Design Automation News, 1994, 9, 12-18.
- “Dissection of an Antibody-Catalyzed Reaction.” J.D. Stewart, J.F. Krebs, G. Siuzdak, A.J. Berdis, D.B. Smithrud and S.J. Benkovic, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 1994, 91, 7404-7409.
- “Catalytic Antibodies.” J.D. Stewart and S.J. Benkovic, McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology, 1993, 21-25.
- “Recent Developments in Catalytic Antibodies.” J.D. Stewart and S.J. Benkovic, Int. Rev. Immunol., 1993, 10, 229-240.
- “Recent Trends in Catalytic Antibody Research.” J.D. Stewart and S.J. Benkovic, Drug News and Perspectives, 1993, 6, 522-531.
- “Design, Preparation and Characterization of a de novo Metal Binding Site in Single Chain Catalytic Antibody 43C9.” M.W. Crowder, J.D. Stewart, V.A. Roberts, E.D. Getzoff and S.J. Benkovic, J. Inorg. Biochem., 1993, 51, 75 (Abstract).
- “Catalytic Antibodies: Mechanistic and Practical Considerations.” J.D. Stewart and S.J. Benkovic, Chem. Soc. Rev., 1993, 22, 213-219.
- “Reaction Mechanisms Displayed by Catalytic Antibodies.” J.D. Stewart, L.J. Liotta and SJ. Benkovic, Acc. Chem. Res., 1993, 26, 396-404.
- “Transition State Analogue Inhibitors of Chorismate Mutase.” T. Clarke, J.D. Stewart and B. Ganem, Tetrahedron, 1990, 46, 731-748.
- “A Genetically Engineered Monofunctional Chorismate Mutase.” J.D. Stewart, D.B. Wilson and B. Ganem, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1990, 112, 4582-4584.
- “Chorismate Mutase/Prephenate Dehydratase from Escherichia coli: Subcloning, Overproduction and Purification.” J. D. Stewart, D. B. Wilson and B.Ganem, Tetrahedron, 1990, 47, 2573-2577.
- “Preparation of α-Arylsulfonyl Lactams.” J.D. Stewart and H.W. Pinnick, Heterocycles 1987, 25, 213-216.
- “α-Arylation of Pyrrolidinones.” J.D. Stewart, S.C. Fields, K.S. Kochhar, and H.W. Pinnick, J. Org. Chem. 1987, 52, 2110-2113.
- “Stereoselective Fragmentation of a Tricyclic Diester Leading to a Potent Chorismate Mutase Transition State” T. Clarke, J.D. Stewart, and B. Ganem, Tetrahedron Lett. 1987, 6253-6256.