Intermediate language instruction and readings in modern Greek literature, history and culture. Prereq: GRK 2200. Course code: GRK 2201. General Education Requirement: HN. Class number: 13854. Credits: 03. Zoom link: available in Canvas. Times: T 4, R 4-5). Room: FLG 0270. GRK 2201 is a course offered in the Department of Classics at the University of Florida. Department contact: Kenneth Van Doren, 125b Dauer Hall, (352) 273-3701.
- Κ. και Φ. Αρβανιτάκη. Επικοινωνήστε ελληνικά 2. Αθήνα: Δέλτος 2015 (K. and F. Arvanitakis, Communicate in Greek 2. Deltos Publishers 2015.)
Additional Texts (to be distributed by the instructor)
- Ν.Γ.Πολίτης. Μελέται περί του βίου και της γλώσσης του ελληνικού λαού: Παραδόσεις Α΄. Αθήνα: Σακελλαρίου 1904 (N.G. Politis. Studies on the Language and Life of the Greek People: Traditions, 1. Athens: Sakellariou 1904.)
- J.L. Tomkinson. Haunted Greece. Nymphs, Vampires, and Other Exotica. Athens: Anagnosis 2004.
Course Requirements and Grading
- Two exams, equally weighted (60% of final grade):
Format: translation from Greek into English and from English into Greek.
General information on current UF policies for assigning grade points is available in the Undergraduate Catalog.
Attendance and General Course Policy
- Attendance. Requirements for class attendance and make-up exams, assignments, and other work in this course are consistent with university policies that can be found in the online Undergraduate Catalog.
- Laptop policy. Students are required to bring to class a laptop, handheld, or other web-enabled device that would allow them to connect to e-learning.
- Class Etiquette. Students are strongly discouraged from leaving the class in the middle of a lesson. Those who need to do so must obtain the instructor’s permission at the beginning of class.
- Makeup Examinations. Makeup exams are given only in extraordinary circumstances. Students who are unable to take exams at the appointed dates should notify the instructor’s assistants in advance.
- Honor Code. Students in CLA 3160 are expected to comply with the Academic Honor Code of the University of Florida.
Students requesting classroom accommodation must first register with the Dean of Students Office. The Dean of Students Office will provide documentation to the student who must then provide this documentation to the Instructor when requesting accommodation. For information about services available to students with special needs, contact the Disability Resource Center.
Students are expected to provide feedback on the quality of instruction in this course based on 10 criteria. These evaluations are conducted online at https://evaluations.ufl.edu. Evaluations are typically open during the last two or three weeks of the semester, but students will be given specific times when they are open. Summary results of these assessments are available to students at https://evaluations.ufl.edu/results.”
- Robert S. Wagman. Campus address: 125c Dauer Hall. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Office hours: by appointment on Zoom.
Readings and Class Calendar
|02||JAN 14||Arvanitakis ch.13|
|03||JAN 19||Arvanitakis ch.13 (cont.)|
|04||JAN 21||Arvanitakis ch.14|
|05||JAN 26||Arvanitakis ch.14 (cont.)|
|06||JAN 28||Arvanitakis ch.15|
|07||FEB 02||Arvanitakis ch.15 (cont.)|
|08||FEB 04||Arvanitakis ch.16|
|09||FEB 09||Arvanitakis ch.16 (cont.)|
|10||FEB 11||Arvanitakis ch.17|
|11||FEB 16||Arvanitakis ch.17 (cont.)|
|12||FEB 18||Arvanitakis ch.18|
|13||FEB 23||Arvanitakis ch.18 (cont.)|
|14||FEB 25||Arvanitakis ch.19|
|15||MAR 02||Arvanitakis ch.19 (cont.)|
|16||MAR 04||Arvanitakis ch.20|
|17||MAR 09||Arvanitakis ch.20 (cont.)|
|18||MAR 11||Arvanitakis ch.21|
|19||MAR 16||Arvanitakis ch.21 (cont.)|
|20||MAR 18||MIDTERM EXAMINATION (same time and place as class)|
|21||MAR 23||Arvanitakis ch.22|
|23||MAR 25||Arvanitakis ch.22 (cont.)|
|24||MAR 30||Arvanitakis ch.23|
|25||APR 01||Arvanitakis ch.23 (cont.)|
|26||APR 06||Arvanitakis ch.24|
|27||APR 13||Arvanitakis ch.24(cont.)|
|EXAM WEEK / FINAL|
|30||APR 30||FINAL EXAMINATION (10:30 am – 12:00 pm, same room as class)|