BARRY R. SCHLENKER
Department of Psychology
University of Florida
Gainesville, Florida 32611
- State University of New York at Albany, Ph.D. in Psychology, 1972.
- University of Miami (FL), A.B. in Psychology, 1969 (Summa Cum Laude).
- Emeritus Professor of Psychology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida (2009 to present).
- Professor of Psychology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida (1980 to 2009).
- Director of the Social Psychology Program, University of Florida (1984-1997, 1998, 2004, 2007-2008).
- Associate Professor of Psychology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL (1976-1980, tenure 1977).
- Assistant Professor of Psychology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL (1972-1976).
- National Science Foundation predoctoral fellowship (1970-1972).
- Maytag Fellowship in the Department of Psychology, University of Miami (6/69 to 9/69).
- Fellow, American Psychological Association (Divisions 3, 8, and 9).
- Fellow, Association for Psychological Science.
- Fellow, Society of Experimental Social Psychology
- Fellow, Society for Personality and Social Psychology
- Fellow, Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues
- Research Scientist Development Award, National Institute of Mental Health.
- College Teaching Award, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, 2008-2009.
- Teacher of the Year Award, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, 1994-1995.
- Outstanding Teacher, Teaching Improvement Program (TIP) Award, University of Florida, 1993-1994.
- Teacher of the Year Award, Psi Chi honor society, 1995-1996.
- Anderson Scholar Faculty Honoree, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2002.
- Teacher of the Year Nominee, Psi Chi, 1994-95, 1996-97, 1997-98.
- A.B. Summa Cum Laude
- National Science Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship.
- Maytag Fellowship, University of Miami (1969).
- Barbash Scholarship, University of Miami (1968-1969).
- Honorary Fraternities: Phi Kappa Phi (1969); Delta Theta Mu (1967); Phi Eta Sigma (1966).
EDITORIAL BOARDS AND JOURNAL SERVICE
- Journal of Personality and Social Psychology: Interpersonal Relations and Group Processes (1999-2002)
- Journal of Personality and Social Psychology: Attitudes and Social Cognition (1995-2000)
- Journal of Personality and Social Psychology (1977-1983)
- Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology (1982-1987, 1991-2002)
- Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin (1988-1991, 1998-2002, 2005-2008)
- Self and Identity (2000-2008 )
- Journal of Character & Leadership Integration (2011-2012)
- British Journal of Social Psychology (1984-1990)
- Social Psychology Quarterly (1980-1983)
Many journals and agencies, including Psychological Review; Psychological Bulletin; American Psychologist; Journal of Personality and Social Psychology; Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin; Journal of Experimental Social Psychology; Journal of Experimental Psychology: General; Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology; Journal of Personality; Journal of Research in Personality; Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes; Journal of Applied Social Psychology; Basic and Applied Social Psychology; Social Cognition; Journal of Conflict Resolution; Social Behavior and Personality; Cognition and Emotion; Motivation and Emotion; Academy of Management Review; European Journal of Social Psychology; International Journal of Conflict Management; International Journal of Psychology; Journal of Sport Psychology; Human Relations; Psychological Reports; Journal Supplement Abstract Service; National Science Foundation; APA convention (Division 8); SEPA convention; Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada; U.S. – Israel Binational Science Foundation.
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT SERVICE
- Director of the Social Psychology Program (1984-1997, 1998, 2004, 2007-2008).
- Policy and Planning Committee of the Psychology Department (1975-1977, 1984-1997, 1998, 2004, 2007-2008).
- University Senate (1980-1982, 1984-1986, 1989-1991).
- Participant Pool Committee for the Psychology Department, Chair (2002-2008).
- Human Subjects Committee, Chair (1993-2002).
- Tenure and Promotion Guidelines Committee (charged with drafting formal guidelines for the tenure and promotion process in psychology, 2008).
- Space Committee in the Psychology Department (2003-2007).
- College Search Committee, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (2000-2001).
- SPPP (Salary Pay Plan for Professors) Committee (2003).
- Chair, Social Science and Education Research Review Committee, Division of Sponsored Research (1986-1987; 1988-1989).
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Committee to Establish a “University of Florida at Sante Fe” Interdisciplinary Program (1995-1996).
- Graduate Studies Committee, Psychology Department (1978-1983).
- Search Committee for a Chair for the Psychology Department (1987-1988; 1994-1995).
- Social Psychology Faculty Search Committee, Chair (1983-1984; 1988-1989; 1990-1991; 1991-1992; 1992-1993; 1996-1997, 2004-2005), Member (2000-2001, 2007-2008).
- Psychology Visiting Faculty Search Committee, Chair (2002, 2004), Member (2003).
- University Scholars Selection Committee (2002).
- Graduate Research Professor Search Committee (1984).
- Cognitive Search Committee (1999-2000).>
- Teaching Improvement Program (TIP) Selection Committee (1994-1995, 1995-1996).
- Consumer Psychology Program Committee, Chair (1979-1983).
- Social Psychology Graduate Student Admissions Committee (1973-1978, 1980-1982, 1984-1989, 1991-1997).
- Psychology Department Self-Study Committee (1981-1982).
- Merit Pay Procedure and Criteria Committee (1988-1989).
- Merit Pay Committee (1989-1991, 1993-95).
- Salary Compression Committee (1994-95).
- Colloquium Committee (1989-1991).
- Tenure and Promotion Committee, Outside Member, Marketing Department (1992-1993).
- Development of a Computer Module on Self-Presentation for the CAUSE project (1981).
- Committee to Establish a Consumer Psychology Program, Chair (1977-1979).
- Library Representative for the Psychology Department (1973-1977).
- Space Allocation Committee, Psychology Department (1975-1977).
- American Psychological Association (Fellow, Divisions 3, 8, 9)
- Association for Psychological Science (Fellow)
- Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (Fellow)
- Society for Personality and Social Psychology (Fellow)
- Society of Experimental Social Psychology (Fellow)
- Professor of Clinical and Health Psychology, Joint Appointment
- Professor of Marketing, Affiliate Appointment
- Social Psychology
- Research Methods
- Self and Identity
- Impression Management
- Professional Development
- Impression Management and Self-Presentation
- Integrity and Moral Identity
- Personal Responsibility and Accountability
- Self and Identity
- Social Influence, Power, and Persuasion