My research focuses on the second language acquisition of Spanish, with a particular interest in phonetics/phonology, study abroad, and technology. I also have worked in the areas of teacher training and classroom learning.
Below are links to selections of my recently published work.
- Language Program Direction: From Theory to Practice. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson. 2013.
- Lord, G. & Isabelli, C. (2014). “Program Articulation and Management.” In M. Lacorte (Ed.), The Handbook of Hispanic Applied Linguistics. London: Routledge.
- Lord, G. & Fionda, M. I. (2014). “Teaching Pronunciation in Second Language Spanish.” In K. Geeslin (Ed.), Handbook of Spanish Second Language Acquisition (514-529). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons.
- Lord, G. & Lomicka, L. (2013). “Twitter as a Tool to Promote Community Among Language Teachers.” Journal of Technology and Teacher Education (JTATE).
- Lord, G. & Harrington, S. (2013). “Online Communities of Practice and Second Language Phonological Acquisition.” International Journal of Computer-Assisted Language Learning and Teaching 3:3 (xx-xx).
- Lomicka, L. & Lord, G. (2012). “A tale of tweets: Analyzing Microblogging among Language Learners.” System 40:1 (48-63).
- Lomicka, L. & Lord, G. (2010). “Podcasting — Past, Present and Future: Applications of Academic Podcasting In and Out of the Language Classroom.” In M’hammed Abdous and Betty Rose Facer (Eds.), Podcasting – Past, Present and Future: Applications of Academic Podcasting In and Out of the Language Classroom. IGI Global.
- Lord, G. (2010). “The combined effects of instruction and immersion on second language pronunciation.” Foreign Language Annals,43:4 (488-503).
- Lord, G. (2009). “Second language awareness and development during study abroad: A case study.” Hispania 92:1 (136-150).
- Lord, G. (2008). “Second language acquisition and first language phonological modification.” Selected Proceedings of the 10th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium, eds. Joyce Bruhn de Garavito and Elena Valenzuela, pp. 184-193. Sommerville, MA: Cascadilla.
- Lomicka, L. Lord, G. (2008). “Co-Authoring: What every department should know.” ADFL Bulletin 39:2 (49-55). 2008. Reprinted in MLA Profession 2008 (202-213).
- “Podcasting communities and second language pronunciation.” Foreign Language Annals 41:2 (364-379). 2008.
- Lord, G. & Lomicka, L. (2008). “Blended learning in teacher education: An investigation of classroom community across media.” Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education 8:2 (158-174).
- Lord, G. (2007). “The role of the lexicon in learning second language stress patterns.” Applied Language Learning 17:1-2 (1-14).