Professor of English & Distinguished Teaching Scholar
University of Florida
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Ph.D. in English, 1984-89.
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville
M.A. in English, 1982-84.
B.A. with High Honors in English, 1978-82.
- Professor of English & Distinguished Teaching Scholar, University of Florida, 2013 – .
- Director of Graduate Student Teaching & General Education, Department of English, 2016 – 2019.
- Associate Professor of English, University of Florida, 1997 – 2013.
- Assistant Professor of English, University of Florida, 1989 – 1997.
Research and Teaching Areas
Post-1900 literature and culture (American & British), modernist studies, poetry & visual culture, women’s writing, pedagogy
Academic Honors & Awards
Editorial and Advisory Boards
- Associate Editor, Contemporary Women’s Writing (2013-).
- Advisory Board, The Space Between: Literature and Culture, 1914-1945 (2011-2014).
Research and Teaching
- Doctoral Dissertation Advisor/Mentoring Award. University of Florida. 2017-18.
- UF Term Professor, 2016-2019.
- Academy of Distinguished Teaching Scholars. University of Florida, 2014-.
- Fellowship, National Endowment for the Humanities, 2007-08.
- Pedagogy workshop co-leader for Impact of Materials on Society project (Materials Research Society meeting, Boston), funded by National Science Foundation, 2014.
- Interdisciplinary Team-Teaching Grant with Mary Ann Eaverly (Classics), Center for the Humanities and the Public Sphere, University of Florida 2015.
- Creative Campus Catalyst Grant (team member), University of Florida, 2013-14.
- Sabbatical, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Florida, 2014, 2002.
- Humanities Scholarship Enhancement Grant, University of Florida, 2013, 2007, 2000.
- College of Liberal Arts & Sciences Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching, University of Florida, 2005, 2002, 1991.
- Mentor, UF Scholars Program, 1999.
- Teaching Incentive Program (TIP) Award, University of Florida, 1996, 1993.
- Research Development Award, University of Florida, 1992, 1990.
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1982.
Exhibitions & Media
- “Decades Past Its Birth, Tupperware Still Has a Place in Our Kitchens” (interview). Wisconsin Public Radio. Oct. 1, 2018.
- Impact of Materials on Society: Polymers (educational video). Commentator. Materials Research Society. March 2016.
- “Women Poets, Modernism, and Classical Myth.” Modern American Poetry MOOC, U. of Illinois/Coursera. 2016.
- Classical Convergences: Traditions & Inventions. (with Mary Ann Eaverly and Carol McCusker). Harn Museum of Art, Gainesville FL. December 2014 – May 2015.
- failure. (with Arts & Humanities Research Group). UF Libraries exhibit, Gainesville FL. Spring 2014.
- The Films of Paul Strand (curator). Whitney Museum of American Art, New York. 1992.
Women’s Poetry and Popular Culture. Modern and Contemporary Poetry and Poetics Series. 2011. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Twentieth-Century Literature (59.1, Fall 2013): 164–173.
- Women’s Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal (42.8, October 2013): 1030–32.
- Choice (March 2012)
- Poetry & Popular Culture (Jan. 2012)
- Tulsa Studies in Women’s Literature (30.2, Fall 2011): 475-78.
Auden and Documentary in the 1930s. Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1997.
- International Review of Modernism 2.1 (Fall/Winter 1998): 20-22.
- Visual Anthropology 15.1 (Spring/Summer 1999): 78-80.
Reprints & Excerpts:
- The Isherwood Century, ed. James Berg and Chris Freeman (U. Wisconsin Press 2000, 2001; Lambda Literary Award for Gay Studies, 2001).
- Caverns of Night: Coal Mines in Art, Literature, and Film, ed. William B. Thesing (University of South Carolina Press, 2000).
Photo-Textualities: Reading Photographs and Literature, ed. Marsha Bryant. Newark: University of Delaware Press, 1996.
- Reviewed in Modern Language Review 93.2 (1998): 490-91.
Journal Essays and Book Chapters (Humanities)
- “Queen Bees: Edith Sitwell, Sylvia Plath, and Cross-Atlantic Affiliations.” Feminist Modernist Studies (June 5, 2019). DOI: 10.1080/24692921.2019.1621690
- “Modernist Migrations, Pedagogical Arenas: Translating Modernist Reception in the Classroom and Gallery” (coauthored with Mary Ann Eaverly). The Classics in Modernist Translation, ed. Lynn Kozak and Miranda Hickman. (Feb. 2019).
- “Sitwell Beyond the Semiotic” (reprint with Coda). The Many Facades of Edith Sitwell, ed. Allan Pero and Gyllian Phillips. University Press of Florida. June 2017. 94-120. (Rev. TLS Jan. 16, 2018.)
- “Gentry Modernism: Cultural Connoisseurship and Midcentury Masculinity, 1951-1957,” Popular Modernism and Its Legacies: From Pop Literature to Video Games, ed. Scott Ortolano. Bloomsbury, Dec. 2017. 19-44.
- “Crisis Modes: Ancient Egyptian Forms and Modern Women Poets,” co-authored with Mary Ann Eaverly. Mezzo Cammin 12.1 (July 2017).
- “The WP Network: Anthologies & Affiliations in Contemporary American Women’s Poetry,” A History of Twentieth-Century American Women’s Poetry, ed. Linda Kinnahan. Cambridge U. Press, 2016. 186-201.
- “Camp Modernism Forum,” co-edited with Douglas Mao, Modernism/modernity 23.1 (January 2016), 1-36.
- “Parody as Pedagogy, Plath as Style” (features student work), Plath Profiles 7 (2014). 13-21.
- “Epic Encounters: The Modernist Long Poem Goes to the Movies,” Journal of Modern Literature 37.4 (Summer 2014), 70-90.
- “The Confessional Other: Identity, Form, and Origins in Confessional Poetry,” Identity and Form in Contemporary Literature, ed. Ana Maria Sanchez-Arce. Routledge, 2013. 177-94.
- “Excavating H.D.’s Egypt,” co-authored with Mary Ann Eaverly, Approaches to Teaching H.D.’s Poetry and Prose. Modern Language Association, 2011. 77-83.
- “Counter-Intuitive Innovation,” in the forum “Making It New: Innovative Approaches to Teaching Modernism,” Modernism/modernity 16.3. (September 2009): 482-84.
- “Graduate Student Mentoring: A Poetics,” in Poetry, Politics, and the Profession: Cary Nelson and the Struggle for the University, ed. Michael Rothberg and Peter K. Garrett. State U. of New York Press, 2009. 187-92.
- “Egypto-modernism: James Henry Breasted, H.D., and the New Past,” co-authored with Mary Ann Eaverly, Modernism/modernity 14.3 (September 2007): 435-53.
- “Ariel’s Kitchen: Plath, Ladies’ Home Journal, and the Domestic Surreal,” in The Unraveling Archive: Essays on Sylvia Plath, ed. Anita Helle, U. of Michigan Press, 2007. 211-35.
- “Displaced Artist Statements, Reluctant Artist-Researchers: Poet-Editors of Women’s Poetry Anthologies,” Open Letter 13.4 (Fall 2007): 45-63. (special issue:Artist Statements and the Nature of Artistic Inquiry, ed. Rachel Nash and W. F. Garrett-Petts).
- “Brooks, Ebony, and Postwar Race Relations,” American Literature 79.1 (March 2007): 113-141.
- “Sitwell Beyond the Semiotic: Gender, Race & Empire in Façade,” Tulsa Studies in Women’s Literature, 26.2 (Fall 2007): 243-67.
- “Classical Tourism in Debora Greger’s Poetry,” co-authored with Mary Ann Eaverly. Mosaic 37.3 (September, 2004): 67-91.
- “IMAX Authorship: Teaching Plath and Her Unabridged Journals,” Pedagogy 4.2 (Spring 2004): 241-61.
- “Plath, Domesticity, and the Art of Advertising,” College Literature 29.3 (Summer 2002 special issue on Literature & Art): 17-34.
Reprinted in The Bell Jar: Critical Insights. Salem Press. Ipswich, MA: 2011. 180-200.
- “W. H. Auden and the Homoerotics of the 1930s Documentary,” Mosaic 30.2 (June 1997): 69-92.
- “Photo-Graphic Pedagogies: Bringing Photography into the English Department Classroom,” in Integrating Visual and Verbal Literacies, Ed. W. F. Garrett-Petts and Donald Lawrence. Winnipeg, Manitoba: Inkshed Publications, 1996. 76-100.
- “Auden and the ‘Arctic Stare’: Documentary as Public Collage in Letters from Iceland,” Journal of Modern Literature 17.4 (1991; published 1994), 537-65.
- “The Films of Paul Strand” (curator’s essay). New American Film and Video Series, 63. Whitney Museum of American Art. March, 1992.
- Rev. of C. D. Blanton’s Epic Negation: The Dialectical Poetics of Late Modernism. Modernism/modernity 24.3 (September 2017): 649-51.
- Rev. of This Business of Words: Reassessing Anne Sexton, ed. Amanda Golden. American Literary History Online Review, Series XII. August 2017.
- Rev. of Stan Smith, ed, The Cambridge Companion to W. H. Auden. Auden Society Newsletter 26 (December 2005): 25-28.
- Rev. of Albert Gelpi’s Living in Time: The Poetry of C. Day Lewis. Modern Philology 99.1 (August 2001): 161-65.
- Response to Marjorie Perloff’s review of Cary Nelson’s anthology, Modern American Poetry. symploke 9:1-2 (2001): 176-77.
- Rev. of John Fuller’s W. H. Auden: A Commentary. International Review of Modernism 3.1 (Fall/Winter 1999): 20-22.
- “Fantastic Plastics in Postwar America: Earl Tupper, Brownie Wise, and Materials Marketing,” forthcoming in Impact of Materials on Society textbook.
- Alexandra Lucas, Dara Wakefield, Marsha Bryant et al. “Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) in Cardiovascular Disease: Searching for the Sweet Spot.” Journal of Clinical & Experimental Cardiology 7.1 (2016). doi: 10.4172/2155-9880.1000e141.
- Marsha Bryant, Alexandra Lucas et al. “Tako-Tsubo Stress Cardiomyopathy—A Quantum Event of the Heart?” Journal of Clinical & Experimental Cardiology 6.10 (2015). doi: 0.4172/2155-9880.1000e140.
- Alexandra Lucas, Andrea Krafft, Gail Ellison, Sally Ryden, Grant McFadden, Jen H. Lucas, Seana O’Regan, and Marsha Bryant. “I to I: Women in the Heart of Medicine 2.” Journal of Clinical and Experimental Cardiology 6.2 (2015). doi: 10.4172/2155-9880.1000e139.
- Alexandra Lucas, Sriram Ambadapadi, Donghang Zheng, Hao Chen, Andrea Krafft, Marsha Bryant, et al. “The Virome – Viral Ghost Companion, Virus Wars.” Journal of Clinical and Experimental Cardiology. 5.8(2014): doi: 10.4172/2155.9880.1000e136.
- Alexandra Lucas, Mary Ann Eaverly, Grant McFadden and Marsha Bryant. “Women in Cardiology: The X Factor and the Heart of Medicine” (editorial), Journal of Clinical & Experimental Cardiology 5.2 (2014): doi: 10.4172/2155-9880.1000e134.
- Alexandra Lucas and Marsha Bryant. “Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation – The Hemorrhagic Hurricane and the Cytokine Storm” (editorial). Clinical & Experimental Cardiology. 4:e127 (June 2013): doi: 10.4172/2155-9880.10003127.
- Alexandra Lucas, Jennifer Davids, Marsha Bryant, et al. “Inflammatory Vascular Disease: A Unifying Hypothesis: (editorial). Clinical & Experimental Cardiology. 3:e111 (August 2012): doi:10.4172/2155-9880.1000e111.
Public Humanities Writing & Digital Humanities Work
- Bells for Whitman’s Captain. Massachusetts Review online. October 29, 2019.
- Liquid Whitman. Massachusetts Review online. July 4, 2019.
- En Dehors Garde Limericks for Stevie Smith. (collage with limericks, drawing, buttons, puzzle pieces). Mina Loy: Navigating the Avant-Garde posted September 2018.
- “From Slag to Swag: The Story of Earl Tupper’s Fantastic Plastics.” The Conversation. August 14, 2018.
- (with PostPunk Collective) “inFESTation,” Parts 1 & 2 (Editorials). punknews.org. November 11 & 12, 2016.
- Marsha Bryant and Mary Ann Eaverly. “The BFF Guide to Interdisciplinary Collaboration” in Modernism/modernity Print+ blog “On Collaboration” by Lesley Wheeler. July 2016.
- “‘Poems Exploding Like Bombs’: Casagrande and Poetry’s Public Spheres.” Poetry & Popular Culture blog. February 21, 2014.
- Rev. of The Oxford Companion to Beer: “Oktoberfest Library: A Review-in-Limericks.” Massachusetts Review blog (October 2013): http://www.massreview.org/blog/oktoberfest-library.
- “How the New NHL Looks to a Soccer Mom (And Why You Should Care).” The Hockey News (February 2007), online edition.
MB Blog Posts
- Humanities Adviser for educational video (Polymers). Impact of Materials on Society (IMOS) project, funded by Department of Defense. University of Florida, 2015.
- Grant review panelist (Comparative Literature and Critical Theory Panel), National Endowment for the Humanities, 2010, 2012.
- Co-leader. “Team Teaching from Classroom to Gallery.” Office of Faculty Development & Teaching Excellence. Harn Museum of Art, November 2018. (with Eric Segal, Alexa Bitton-Braddy, Carol McCusker, Mary Ann Eaverly Nina Stoyan-Rosenzweig)
- TA Workshops for UF English: “Spotlight on CRW 1101 & 2100: Fiction Writing” (Sep. 2018), “Teaching Hamilton” (April 2018), “Teaching Macbeth and Performance“ (January 2018), Spotlight on ENG 2300: Film Analysis” (Oct. 2017), “Teaching Gulliver’s Travels” (Sep. 2017), “Spotlight on ENG 1131: Writing through Media” (April 2017)
- Co-leader. “Teaching with Archives: A 360⁰ Event.” Campus-wide workshop co-sponsored by The Academy of Distinguished Teaching Scholars, Office of Faculty Development & Teaching Excellence, and Smathers Libraries’ Department of Special Collections. March 2017.
- Co-leader. “Teaching with the Harn: A TA Workshop.” Harn Museum of Art, University of Florida. December 2016.
- “The Power of Polymers: Tupperware and Domestic Design in Postwar America.” Impact of Materials on Society teaching workshop. Materials Research Society (Boston, MA), December 2014.
- “Modernism’s Child: Stevie Smith and Children’s Culture.” Shannon-Clark Seminar. Washington and Lee University (Lexington, VA), March 2010.
- “Epic Gender Makeovers: H.D.’s Helen in Egypt and Warner Brothers’ Helen of Troy,” plenary talk for“Femininities and Masculinities in a Global Context,” Florida Consortium for Women’s and Gender Studies (Tampa FL), February 2008.
- “Graduate Student Mentoring.” Poetry, Politics & The Profession: A Tribute to Cary Nelson. University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign), October 2006.
- “Racing Modern Poetry: A Triptych,” English Department, University of Georgia, December 2005.
- “Displaced Artist Statements in Women’s Poetry Anthologies.” Workshop on Artist Statements and Artistic Inquiry. Thompson Rivers University, British Columbia, Canada, November 2005.
- “Raising the Dead: Teaching Seamus Heaney and Photography.” Session sponsored by the MLA at the NCTE Convention (Orlando, FL), November 1994.
- “Paul Strand and Documentary.” The Whitney Museum of American Art (New York, NY), March 1992.
- Plastic Modernisms roundtable leader. Modernist Studies Association (Toronto, Canada), October 2019.
- “Architextures: New Pedagogies for Modernist Studies.” Modern Architecture and Narrative seminar. Modernist Studies Association (Columbus, OH), November 2018.
- “The Cultures of Materials Science Engineering: Bridging Literacies in the STEM Classroom” (with Mary Ann Eaverly). Humanities for STEM: Using Archives to Bridge the Two Cultures Divide (NYU MetroTech Center). April 6, 2018.
- “Cinepoetic Spaces of Conflict: Staging Myth through Visual Culture.” The Politics of Space and the Humanities International Conference. Aristotle University (Thessaloniki, Greece) 15-17 December, 2017.
- Preamble to the roundtable “Multimodal Texts and Collaborative Pedagogy: Teaching Persepolis.” LIT 2.0 Collective. “UWP Conference: Pedagogy, Practice and Philosophy” (Gainesville, FL), January 2018.
- Preamble to the roundtable “Oh, the Places Modernist Studies Will Go!” Modernist Studies Association (Pasadena, CA). November 2016.
- “Mythic Migrations: Ange Mlinko and the Modernist Imagination” (with Mary Ann Eaverly). Portals, Gates: The Classics in Modernist Translation. McGill University (Montréal, Canada). April 29-May 1, 2016.
- “The Fabrics of the Man: Cleanth Brooks, Gentry Magazine, and Postwar Style.” Modernist Studies Association (Boston, MA), November 2015.
- “Beyond Isis: Women’s Poetry, Social Crisis, and Ancient Egypt” (with Mary Ann Eaverly). Poetry by the Sea: A Global Conference. (Madison, CT), May 2015.
- “Why Women’s Poetry Now: The View from 1973.” Modernist Studies Association (Pittsburgh, PA), November 2014.
- “Gentry, the New Criticism, and the Aesthetics of Postwar American Masculinity.” Marxist Reading Group Conference (Gainesville, FL), March 2014.
- “Queen Bees: Edith Sitwell and Sylvia Plath.” Modernist Studies Association (Brighton, UK), August 2013.
- “Camp Modernism” (Roundtable organizer/co-moderator). Modernist Studies Association (Las Vegas, NV), November 2012.
- “Excavating H.D.’s Egypt in the Classroom.” Modern Language Association (Seattle, WA), January 2012.
- Panelist and Organizer of Roundtable “Rethinking Poetic Innovation.” Modernist Studies Association (Buffalo, NY), October 2011.
- “The American Sitwell.” Sitwelliana Symposium (Birmingham, U.K.), September 2011.
- “CinemaScope Poetics: H.D., Helen, and Epic Film.” Louisville Conference on Literature and Culture since 1900 (Louisville KY), March 2011.
- “H.D. in CinemaScope.” Modernist Studies Association (Victoria, Canada), November 2010.
Invited seminar participant, “Modernism and the Scene of the Archive,” Modernist Studies Association (Victoria, Canada), November 2010.
- “Everyday Ariel, Household Mythologies.” Lifting Belly High: Women’s Poetry since 1900. (Pittsburgh PA), September 2008.
- Seminar Co-Leader, “Modernisms in the 1950s,” and Panelist for Forum on Teaching Innovation, Modernist Studies Association (Long Beach CA), November 2007.
- “Lyric Killers: Ai’s Monologues of Male Violence.” Black Cultural Interventions into Gender and Sexuality Conference, University of Florida, March 2007.
- “Sounding Sitwell, Sounding Modernism.” Modernist Studies Association (Tulsa OK), October 2006.
- “H.D.’s Egypto-Modernism and James Henry Breasted’s New Past,” co-authored with Mary Ann Eaverly. Modernist Studies Association (Chicago, IL), November 2005.
- “The I’s Have It? The Problem of Dramatic Monologue in Contemporary Women’s Poetry.” Modernist Studies Association (Chicago, IL), November 2005.
- “Reading Stevie Smith’s Image-Text ,” Society for Textual Scholarship conference (New York, NY), March 2005.
- “Edith Sitwell as Modernist Icon: The Beaton Photographs.” Modernist Studies Association (Vancouver, Canada), October 2004.
- “Classical Tourism in Debora Greger’s Poetry,” with Mary Ann Eaverly and Debora Greger. Center for Women’s Studies and Gender Research, U. of Florida, October 2004.
- Respondent, “Modernism’s Traffic in Urban Women.” Cities of Women: The Filmic Portrayal of Urban Female Struggles. U. of Florida, December 2003.
- Cross-Atlantic Roundtable Participant. “The Auden Generation, Reconfigured.” Modernist Studies Association (Birmingham, U.K.), Oct. 2003.
- “Stevie Smith and the Children’s Culture Concept.” Modernist Studies Association (Birmingham, U.K.), Oct. 2003.
- “Uneasy Alliances: Brooks, Ebony, and Postwar Race Relations.” Modernist Studies Association (Madison, WI), Nov. 2002.
- “Edith Sitwell: Emblem of Modernism.” Modernist Studies Association (Houston, TX), Oct. 2001
- “Modernist mise en page: Stevie Smith and Children’s Literature.” Modernist Studies Association (Houston, TX), Oct. 2001
- “Plath, Advertising, and the Domestic Surreal.” Marxist Reading Group Conference (Gainesville, FL), March 2001.
- “Edith Sitwell’s Facades of Empire: Performance, Race, Nation.” Modernist Studies Association (Philadelphia, PA), Oct. 2000.
- “Persephone in Florida: Greek Myth in Debora Greger’s Poems” (with Mary Ann Eaverly). 20th Anniversary Symposium of the Center for Greek Studies at the University of Florida. (Gainesville, FL), February 2000.
- “Teaching Myth through Modern Poetry” (With Mary Ann Eaverly, Helen Sword, and Cynthia Bannon). American Women and Classical Myths (College Park, MD), Sept. 1999.
- “Excavating H.D.’s Egypt in Palimpsest and The Walls Do Not Fall” (with Mary Ann Eaverly). American Literature Association (San Diego, CA), May 1998.
- “Afro-Centric Archaeology in H.D.’s The Walls Do Not Fall” (with Mary Ann Eaverly). Southeast Women’s Studies Association (Gainesville, FL), March 1998.
- “Alternative Masculinities in 1930s Industrial Britain.” Modern Language Association (Washington, D.C.), December 1996.
- “Interpretive Fictions: Reading Photographs and Literature.” Modern Language Association (San Diego, CA), December 1994.
- “‘Splendid Men’ of the Black Country: Documentary, Masculinity, and Industrial Britain in the 1930s.” 19th Conference on Literature and Film. Florida State University, January 1994.
- “Casting Shadows: Auden, Photography, and Documentary.” Cultural Studies in the 1990s Conference, University of Oklahoma, October 1990.
- “Notes Toward a Supreme War Poem: Auden’s Spain and Cultural Memory.” Modern Language Association (Washington, D.C.), December 1989.
- “‘Selected Images’ and ‘Gardened Words.’” Midwest Modern Language Association (Minneapolis, MN), November 1989.
- “Fantasy as Counter-Narrative: The Subversive Text of Joyce’s Dubliners.” James Joyce Conference (Philadelphia, PA), June 1989.
- “A War of One’s Own: Auden’s Photographic Vision in Journey to a War.” Modern Language Association (New Orleans, LA), December 1988.
- “Auden’s Reluctant ‘I’ in the Early Love Poems.” Midwest Modern Language Association (Columbus, OH), November 1987.
- “‘I walk among them taking photographs’: Auden’s Documentary Vision in Letters from Iceland.” 12th Annual Colloquium on Literature and Film. West Virginia University, October 1987.
- “‘Broke and Healed’: An Antiphonal Meditation,” with Mitchell Stecker (spoken word and musical performance featuring poems by Gerard Manley Hopkins and Anne Sexton). Episcopal Chapel of the Incarnation on campus. Gainesville FL, March 2017.
- London Calling: Poetry and Popular Music in the Modernist City. (Gallery talk and performance with musicians). Harn Museum of Art, June 2015.
- “Mighty Aphrodites: Classical Convergences in Art and Poetry” (with Mary Ann Eaverly). Harn Museum of Art, March 2015.
- “Three Modes of Maya Angelou: The Groove, The Grit, The Gravitas.” Oak Hammock at the University of Florida, June 2014.
- “From Siouxsie Sioux to Suzie Bonebreaker: Femininity on the Edge.” Talk-back for the film The Punk Singer. Hippodrome State Theatre, January 2014.
- “Sylvia Plath and the Dream Kitchen.” National Poetry Month event. Alachua County Headquarters Library, April 2013.
- Symposium Panelist, “The Feminine Mystique at Fifty: 1963-2013” UF Center for Women’s Studies and Gender Research, March 2013.
- “Everyday Ariel: Sylvia Plath and Domesticity.” Reinventing Domesticity Forum. UF Center for Women’s Studies and Gender Research, November, 2011.
- “Plath and the Discourse of Postwar Domesticity,” UF English Majors club, February 2007.
- Literary Connections: Marsden Hartley, American Modern. Harn Museum of Art, November 2006.
- “Celebrate National Poetry Month,” Talbot Elementary School, April 2004.
- “Celebrate National Poetry Month,” Flowers Montessori School, April 2003.
- “What is Poetry?” Holy Trinity Child Caring Center. March 2000 & 2001.
- “Sylvia Plath and the 1950s Kitchen,” Jewish Newcomers Club, April 2000.
- Modernist Studies & Pedagogy
- Modern American Poetry & Design
- Modern American Poetry
- Modern British Poetry
- Women’s Poetry
- Women Writers & Classical Myths (with Mary Ann Eaverly)
- Desperate Domesticity: The American 1950s
- Post-Punk Cultures: The British 1980s
- Sylvia Plath and Her Cultural Afterlife
- Supersized: Modernist Long Poems & Epic Films
- H.D. and Modernist Studies
- Confessional Poetry/Confessional Culture
- Poetry and Classical Tourism in Paris (through UF’s Paris Research Center)
- Literature & Photography
- Film Analysis
- The Documentary Book
- Writing About Literature
- Literature & Social Consciousness in the 1930s
- Associate Editor, Contemporary Women’s Writing.
- Specialist reader for the scholarly journals PMLA, Mosaic, Tulsa Studies in Women’s Literature, Twentieth Century Literature, and College Literature.
- Specialist reader for Ashgate Press, University Press of Florida, University of Minnesota Press, Palgrave Macmillan, and the University of Toronto Press.
Ph.D. Candidate Dissertations & Positions
- Carolyn Bradley, “John O’Brien’s The Review of Contemporary Fiction: A Love Letter,” 2018. Administrative Specialist, Southern HIV and Alcohol Research Consortium, University of Florida.
- Rob Short, “Big Books: Addiction and Recovery in the Novels of David Foster Wallace,” co-directed with Trysh Travis. 2017. IT Consultant and President of the International David Foster Wallace Society.
- Andrea Krafft, “The Domestic Fantastic: Postwar American Fiction from Bradbury to Plath,” 2015. Assistant Professor of Writing & Communication, Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College, GA.
- Emily McCann,“Gothic Futures: Modernist Gothic, Women’s Modernism,” 2014. Northern Regional Bargaining and Advocacy Specialist, Florida Education Association.
- Megan Leroy, “Redefining Domesticity: Women’s Poetry in Twentieth-Century America,” 2014. Director of Teaching & Learning Center, Warrington College of Business, UF.
- Cortney Grubbs McLeod, “Confessing Captivity: Queer Narratives of Trauma by American Women Writers,” 2010. Assistant Professor of English at Gordon State College, GA.
- James McDougall, “The Incorporation of Chinese Literature into Modern American Poetry,” 2007. Associate Professor at Sichuan University, China.
- Jill Pruett, “Autobiography and the Business of Being Modern: Gertrude Stein, Josephine Baker, Sylvia Beach, and Elsa Schiaparelli in Paris,” 2007. Assistant Teaching Professor at the U. of Massachusetts-Lowell.
- Kirsten Bartholomew Ortega, “The Poet Flâneuse in the American City: Gwendolyn Brooks, Adrienne Rich, Diane DiPrima, Audre Lorde,” 2006. Associate Professor of English at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs.
- Glenn Freeman, “Lyric Voice and American Individualism,” 2005. Professor of English & Director of MFA Program at Cornell College, Iowa.
- John Smith, “Men of the Cold War: Warrior Ethos and Domesticity in 1950s America,” 2002. Ret. faculty of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
- Steve Spence, “Photographic Culture and the American Thirties,” 1999. Professor of Media Studies at Clayton State University, Georgia .
Department & University Service
- Harn Museum Director Search Committee, 2018.
- Academy of Distinguished Teaching Scholars, 2014 –
- University Cultural Plaza Advisory Committee, 2011-
- CLAS Humanities Scholarship Enhancement Grant Selection Committee, 2013, 2008.
- Department Graduate Studies Committee (Placement), 2012 –
- Department Council (elected), 2014-, 2003-2005, 2000-2001.
- Department Merit Pay Committee, 2011-13.
- Grant Workshop presenter and reader, UF Center for Humanities and the Public Sphere, 2011.
- Department Curriculum Committee, 2009-2010.
- Judge, UF Woman Leader of the Year (Women’s Leadership Council), 2009, 2007.
- Department Tenure & Promotion Committee (elected): 2005-2007.
- Department Graduate Studies Committee (Admissions): 1998-2000, 2003-2006.
- CLAS Research Advisory Committee, 2003.
- CLAS Assembly Steering Committee, 2003-2004.
- Chair, Department Speakers Committee, 2000-2002.
- Department Hiring Committee, 2004, 1999, 1997.
- Phi Beta Kappa Selection Committee, 2000-2002.
- University Committee on Teacher Education, 1999-2002.
- Department General Education Committee, 1994-97.
- Department Chair Search Committee for English (elected), 1994.
- University Teaching Improvement Program (TIP) Advisory Committee, 1994.
- University Teaching Improvement Design Committee, 1992.
- CLAS Teaching Awards Selection Committee, 1992.
- Department Merit Pay Committee (elected), 1990-91, 1991-92, 1993-94.
- Modernist Studies Association
- Modern Language Association
- H.D. International Society
- W. H. Auden Society