|Villages at West End
12757 NW 11th Place
Newberry, FL 32669
Voice mail: 201-224-8745
|Department of Mathematics
469 Little Hall
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611-8105
Professor, Department of Mathematics, University of Florida.
Affiliated Professor, Department of Biology, University of Florida.
- Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics, Purdue University (1998)
- Advisor: Dr. Fabio Milner
- Thesis: An Age-structured Two-Sex Population Model
- M.S. in Mathematics, University of Sofia, Bulgaria (1988)
- GPA 5.91/6.00 (graduated third in a class of 154)
- Thesis in Numerical Analysis
Area of Research
- Mathematical Biology
- Population Dynamics
- Mathematical Epidemiology
- Mathemtical Demography
- Mathematical Ecology
- Nonlinear PDEs
- Numerical Analysis
Honors and Grants
- NSF DMS-1515661 “Collaborative Research: Linking Within-Host and Between-Host Infectious Disease Dynamics” (2015-2018), PI: Maia Martcheva, Co-PI: Robert D. Holt (Biology).
- NSF DMS-1359889 “Third University of Florida SIAM Gators Conference”, PI: W. Hager, Co-PIs: Maia Martcheva, Scott McKinley, Yunmei Chen.
- Colonel Allen R. and Margaret G. Crow Professor, University of Florida, 2013-2014.
- NSF DMS-1220342 “Avian Flu: Modeling, Analysis, and Implications for Control” (2012-2016), PI: Maia Martcheva, Co-PIs: Necibe Tuncer, Florida Atlantic University, Robert D. Holt, Department of Biology, UF.
- NSF DGE-0801544 “IGERT: Spatial Ecology and Evolution: Quantitative Training in Biology, Statistics, and Mathematics” (2008-2015), PI: Maia Martcheva, Co-PIs: Emilio Bruna, Benjamin Bolker, Craig Osenberg.
- NSF DMS-0817789 “Avian Flu: Modeling, Analysis, and Simulations” (2008-2012), PI: Maia Martcheva, Co-PIs: Robert D. Holt, Manojit Roy, Department of Zoology, UF.
- NSF Grant DMS-0408230 “IGMS: Host immunity and the evolution of infectious diseases” (2005-2006), PI: Maia Martcheva, Co-PI: Louis Guillette, Department of Zoology, UF.
- NSF ADVANCE Fellow, 2002-2005.
- NSF Grant DMS-0137687 “Effects of host age-structure on the development and evolution of infectious diseases” (2002-2003). Transfered as DMS-0406119 (2003-2005), PI: Maia Martcheva
- Association for Women in Mathematics Workshop Grant (1996, 2000)
- CIC/WISE Travel Grant for women graduate students (1998)
- Phi Kappa Phi (member since 1997)
- The National Dean’s List (1995-1996)
- Association of Women in Mathematics Grant for participation in Julia Robertson Celebration of Women in Mathematics (1996)
- Purdue Research Foundation Grant (Summer 1995, Summer 1996, Summer 1997)
- Golden Medal of Department of Education (Bulgaria 1986)
- Vice Chair, SIAG Life Sciences, 2012-2014.
- Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics, University of Florida, August 2008-August 2012.
- Visiting Member, Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, NYU, June2009-December 2009.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics, University of Florida, August 2003-August 2008.
- Affiliated Assistant Professor, Department of Zoology, University of Florida, 2005-2008.
- Affiliated Assistant Professor — in Residence, Department of Zoology, University of Florida, September 2005 – July 2006.
- Visiting Scholar, Arizona State University, May-June 2005.
- NSF ADVANCE Fellow, DBSCB, Cornell University, 2002-2003.
- Visiting Scholar, Arizona State University, July 2003.
- Visiting Professor, University of Trento, Italy, April-June 2003.
- Visiting Professor, University of Trento, Italy, May-June 2002.
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Arizona State University, January-May 2001.
- Visiting Scientist, Purdue University, January, May, 2000.
- Instructor, Polytechnic Institute, NYU, Brooklyn, NY, 1999-2003.
- Postdoctoral Associate, Institute for Mathematics and Its Applications, University of Minnesota, September-December 1998.
- Visiting Scientist, University of Trento, Italy, May-June 1998.
- Teaching Assistant, Purdue University, 1992-1997.
- Research Assistant, Purdue University, Summer 1995, Summer 1996, Summer
- Research Fellow, University of Sofia, 1989-1990, 1992.
- Teaching Assistant, University of Sofia, 1989-1990, 1992.
Invited Conference Talks
- ICMA-V, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada, October 2015
- Erice MathCompEpi 2015, Erice, Italy, September 2015
- AMS Sectional Meeting, Huntsville, AL, March 2015
- SIAM Conference of Life Sciences, Charlotte, NC, August 2014
- BIOMATH 2014, Sofia, Bulgaria, June 2014
- SIAM SEAS Conference, Melbourne, FL, March 2014
- SIAM Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, July 2013
- SMB Annual Meeting, Tempe, AZ, June 2013
- SIAM Conference on Life Sciences, San Diego, CA, August 2012
- SMB Annual Meeting, NIMBIOS, Knoxville, TN, July 2012
- The 9th AIMS Conference on Dynamical Systems, Differential Equations and Applications, Orlando, FL, July 2012
- Joint Mathematics Meetings, Boston, MA, January 2012
- Meeting “Mathematical Innovative Methods and Models of Biosciences”, Trento, Italy, December 2011
- 7th International Congress on Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Vancouver, Canada, July 2011
- NIMBioS Investigative Workshop on Modeling Johne’s Diseases, NIMBioS, UTK, July 2011
- Third Conference of the Euro-American Consortium for Promoting the Application of Mathematics in Technical and Natural Sciences, Albena, Bulgaria, June 2011
- Computational and Mathematical Population Dynamics 3, Bordeaux, France, May 2010
- 2009 AMS Fall Central Section Meeting, Waco, TX, October 2009
- Second International Conference on mathematical Modeling and Analysis of Populations in Biological Systems, UAH, Huntsville, AL, October 2009
- Istanbul Conference on Mathematical Methods and Modeling in Life Sciences and Biomedicine, Sile, Turkey, August 2009
- Meeting:”Mitigating the Spread of A/H1N1: Lessons Learned from Past Outbreaks”, Tempe, AZ, June 2009
- 1048th AMS Section Meeting, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, April 2009.
- Workshop on Analysis and Numerics of Population Dynamics and Epidemics Models, University of Udine, Udine, Italy, December 2008.
- Conference in honour of Horst R. Thieme “Differential Equations and Applications in Ecology and Epidemiology”, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN, December 2008.
- 2008 AMS Fall Southeastern Meeting, Huntsville, AL, October 2008.
- Conference on Differential Equations and Application to Mathematical Biology, University of Le Havre, Le Havre, France, June 2008.
- Fifth World Congress of Nonlinear Analysts, Orlando, FL, June 2008.
- Conference in Honor of the 65th Birthday of Jim Cushing, University of Arizona, Tuscon, AZ, October 2007
- Workshop on Coevolution, DIMACS, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ, October 2006
- SIAM Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, July 2006
- Joint Mathematics Meetings, San Antonio, TX, January 2006
- Conference on Mathematical Biology and Dynamical Systems, University of Texas at Tyler, Tyler, TX, October 2005
- 2005 AMS Sectional Meeting, Lubbock, TX, April 2005
- Computational and Mathematical Population Dynamics 2004, joint DESTOBIO 3 – MPD 7, Trento, Italy, June 2004
- 2004 Spring Southeastern AMS Section Meeting, Tallahassee, FL, March 2004
- Joint Mathematics Meetings, Phoenix, AZ , January 2004
- 2003 Joint Central and Western AMS Section Meeting, Boulder , CO,
- VI Congresso Nazionalle della SIMAI, Grand Hotel Chia Laguna, Domus de Maria, Italy, May 2002
- AMS Annual Meeting, New Orleans, January 2001
- International Conference on Deterministic and Scholastic Modeling of Biointeraction, DESTOBIO 2000, West Lafayette, IN, August 2000
- The Eleventh International Colloquium on Differential Equations, Plovdiv, Bulgaria, August 2000
- SIAM Annual Meeting, Puerto Rico, July 2000
- Workshop “Emerging and Reemerging Diseases”, IMA, University of Minnesota, May 1999
- International Conference on Deterministic and Stochastic Modeling of Biointeraction, Bulgaria, August 1997
- National Research Competition for Undergraduate Students, Sofia, Bulgaria, 1988 (second place)
Seminar and Colloquia Talks
- Seminar, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Florida Atlantic University, January 2015
- Colloquium, Department of Mathematics, Georgia State University, October 2014
- Seminar, Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, HSPH, Harvard, Boston, MA, June 2010
- Colloquium, Department of Mathematics, Polytechnic Institute, NYU, New York, NY, October 2009
- Mostly Biomathematics Seminar, Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, NYU, New York, NY, October 2009
- Mathematical Biology Seminar, Department of Mathematics, ASU, Tempe, AZ, September 2009
- Colloquium, Department of Mathematics, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL, April 2009
- MBI Seminar, Mathematical Biosciences Institute, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, March 2009
- Colloquium, Institute for Theoretical and Mathematical Ecology and Department of Mathematics, University of Miami, April 2008
- Center for Applied Scientific Computing, Lawrance Livermore National Lab, Livermore, CA, March 2006
- Departmental Seminar, Department of Zoology, University of Florida, October 2005
- Colloquium, Group T7, Los Alamos National Lab, Los Alamos, NM, July 2004
- Trieste-Trento Workshop on Numerical Methods, University of Trento, Italy, June 2003
- Colloquium, City College of New York, March 2003
- Colloquium, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, March 2003
- Colloquium, Utah State University, March 2003
- Biomathematics Seminar, Texas Tech University, March 2003
- Colloquium, Fordham University, February 2003
- Colloquium, Lehigh University, February 2003
- Colloquium, University of Florida, January 2003
- Colloquium, University of Louisville, KY, December 2002
- Biomathematics Seminar, University of Trento, Italy, June 2002
- Colloquium, Queens College, CUNY, March 2002
- Colloquium, University of Wisconsin-Milwakee, March 2002
- Applied Mathematics Seminar, College of Staten Island, CUNY, February 2002
- Colloquium, Montclair State University, February 2002
- Colloquium, College of William and Mary, February 2002
- Mathematical Biology Seminar, Arizona State University, February 2001
- Mathematical and Theoretical Biology Institute, Cornell University, July 1998
- Colloquium, Texas Tech University, February 1997
Scientific Forums Organized
- “Recent Advances in Mathematical Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases”, (with Necibe Tuncer), SIAM Conference on Life Sciences, Charlotte, NC, August 2014.
- “Recent Advances in Mathematical Epidemiology, Ecology and Population Dynamics”, (with Necibe Tuncer), SIAM Annual Meeting, Chicago, July 2014.
- “Contemporary Approaches in Mathematical Epidemiology,Ecology and Population Dynamics” (with Necibe Tuncer), SIAM Conference on Life Sciences, San Diego, CA, August 2012.
- “Modern Developments in the Mathematics of Infectious Diseases” (with Fabio Milner), CMPD3, Bordeaux, France, May 2010.
- “Mathematical Biology: Modeling, Analysis, and Simulations” (with Z. Li and A. S. Ackleh), 2008 AMS Fall Southeastern Meeting, Huntsville, AL, October 2008.
- “Evolution of Pathogens” (with Zhilan Feng), CMPD 2004, Trento, Italy, June 2004.
- Applied Mathematics Seminar, Department of Mathematics, University of Florida, 2003-2004.
- “Control Problems in Population Dynamics and Epidemiology” (with Bedr’Eddine Ainseba), DESTOBIO 2000, West Lafayette, IN, August 2000.
- NAKFI Complex Systems, The National Academies Arnold and Mabel Beckman Center, Irvine, CA, November 2008 (poster presentation).
- International Conference on Computational and Mathematical Epidemiology, DIMACS Center – Rutgers University, June-July 2002 (poster presentation)
- Dynamics Days Arizona, Scottsdale, January 1997 (poster presentation)
- SIAM Annual Meeting, Kansas City, July 1996 (poster presentation)
- Julia Robertson Celebration of Women in Mathematics, Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, Berkely, July 1996 (poster presentation)
- Fourth Conference on Differential equations and Applications, Rousse, Bulgaria, August 1989
- Mathematical Biosciences, publisher: Elsevier, February 2010 – February 2016.
- Journal of Biological Dynamics, publisher: Taylor & Francis, Summer 2008 – present.
- Journal of Biological Systems, publisher: World Scientific, Fall 2004 – December 2015; Managing Editor January 2016 — present.
My publications with links are listed here.
“An Introduction to Mathematical Epidemiology,” Springer Texts in Applied Mathematics 61, Springer, New York, 2015.
(with M. Iannelli, F. Milner) “Gender-Structured Population Modeling: Mathematical Methods, Numerics and Simulations”, SIAM Frontiers in Applied Mathematics FR31, SIAM, Philadelphia, 2005.
- Twenty years experience teaching undergraduate classes
- Taught classes in Precalculus, Calculus, Algebra, Trigonometry, Intermediate Linear Algebra, Numerical Analysis, ODEs
- BioMathematics Seminar I — a graduate class, Fall 2006.
- Students participated in joint projects with students in the Integrative Principles class (a graduate class in Zoology).
- BioMathematics Seminar II — a graduate class, Fall 2007.
- Modeling in Mathematical Biology — a graduate/undergraduate class. Students are mixed from mathematics and biology.
- Course coordinator, Precalculus (1999), Algebra (1997), Trigonometry (1995, 1996, 1997)
- Duties include handling section changes and preparing midterm exams (including grading keys) for about 500 students
- Curriculum development – Incorporating Matlab into the Calculus Curriculum
- Developing worksheets for introduction to Matlab
- Developing sets of solved problems with and without Matlab
- REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates) – participated in REU Summer program at MTBI (Cornell University, Los Alamos)
- Directed student research projects
- Samuel Swanson — undergraduate student, November 2015 — present
- Research interests: modeling, data fitting, identifiability analysis
- Abena Annor — undergraduate student, January 2015– April 2016
- Research interests: avian influenza
- Chindu Mohanakumar — undergraduate student, Summer 2014 — December 2016
- Research interests: Ebola.
- Yena Kim — PhD student, August 2012 – present
- Research interests; immuno-epidemiological modeling.
- Joan Ponce — undergraduate student, August 2012- May 2013.
- Research interests: infectious diseases.
- Graduate School: Purdue University
- Omar Saucedo — PhD in Mathematics, August 2016.
- Research interest: mathematical epidemiology, avian influenza.
- Juan Torres — Ph.D. in Mathematics, August 2015.
- Reserach interests: mathematical epidemiology, avian influenza.
- Hayriye Gulbudak — Ph.D. in Mathematics, August 2014.
- Research interests: mathematical epidemiology, avian influenza.
- Olivia Prosper — Ph.D. in Mathematics, May 2012. (co-advisor: David L. Smith).
- Research interests: malaria.
- Souvik Bhattacharya — Ph.D. , August 2011.
- Research interests: size-structured models.
- Dissertation: Oscillations in a Size-Structured Prey Predator Model
- Joseph Lucchetti — M.S. in Mathematics, August 2010.
- Research interests: data fitting.
- Swati Deb Roy — Ph.D., December 2011. (co-advisor: Benjamin Bolker).
- Research interests: Hepatitis C
- Dissertation: Hepatitis C Infection in the Human Liver: Viral Dynamics, Treatment and Related Side-Effects.
- Fernanda Melo — M.S., Applied Mathematics, August 2007.
- Thesis: The New Face of AIDS: A Mathematical Modeling Approach to New Trends in Treatment and Prevention
- Douglas Thomasey — M.S., Applied Mathematics, May 2007.
- Thesis: Serotype Replacement of Vertically Transmitted Diseases Through Perfect Vaccination
- Programming Languages: Fortran, Pascal
- Computer Algebra Systems: Mathematica, Matlab
- Familiarity with Operating Systems: Linux, Windows